Thursday, August 14, 2008

Survival Kit Defined

I am feeling the need to share the amount of items that I carry around on a daily basis because it seems really unbelievable sometimes. I feel like I am training for a strength competition.

1. Infant carrier itself which weighs approximately 3-5 pounds
2. Infant weighs 19.5 pounds

These 2 items (24 pounds or so) are usually resting on my right forearm, while keys and phone are in hand. It is quite a sight. I know our days of removing the carrier from the car are ending.
My left shoulder holds diaper bag at approximately 8 pounds. I am just guessing. Mom says it weighs more like 15 pounds. I have a few different bags so that varies too but they are all close in weight.

Here are the daily contents:


1. Two 8 oz and one 4 oz bottle filled with sterile water.
2. Twelve oz of formula in a plastic dispenser
3. Four 4 oz packets of formula
4. Emergency 3 oz of prepared formula with special sized top
5. Two diapers
6. Wipes
7. Baggies to dispose of dirty diapers
8. Diaper Cream
9. Two or more containers of food in plastic bag
10. Spoons in plastic case (or my Boon spoon which food can be squeezed from)
11. Disposable bib for food feedings
12. Cloth bib for bottle feedings
13. Pacifier with clip in holder
14. Toys (at least 4)
15. Ribbon to tie toy to stroller
16. Disposable camera for spontaneous moments
17. Emergency phone numbers
18. Wet wipes and antibacterial gel for hands
19. Lipsticks and powder
20. Sunscreen for baby (stick and lotion)
21. Sunscreen for me
22. Protein bar (for me)
23. Wallet (not pictured)
24. Teething tablets or gel
25. Extra plastic quart size bag
26. Changing pad (inside bag)
27. Pen
One day I will look back at this and laugh, right??

Meanwhile this has been a big week. Caroline is clapping, kissing and shaking her head 'no' when prompted....so funny to see. And I am not sure when to call her moving around officially crawling. Let's just say she can go backwards by moving her legs for now.





2 comments:

Anna said...

The bag contents are so funny! Times change when you have the second one. My bag consists of a couple of diapers, wipes, an extra change of clothes. That's it.

I am totally feeling you on the muscle development in arms. With the carrier, a 15 or so (at last weigh in) pound baby, a pump, a purse, a lunch bag, empty bottles, my heels, plus all the notes home. Carrying all of this up the stairs in the afternoon is a challenge.

elisabeth said...

This is great - I'm going to use it as a guide of what in the world to put into my bag. You know I need all the help I can get!